Jun 17, 2024  
SFCC Catalog 2020-2021 
SFCC Catalog 2020-2021 [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Student Records

SFCC is committed to maintaining the confidentiality of student records. SFCC Policy 2-12 Student Records is in accordance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (P.L.93-380, 513) (FERPA), which affords students certain rights with respect to their education records. These rights include:

  • The right to inspect and review student’s education records within 45 days of the day the college receives a request for access. Students should submit to the Registrar written requests that identify the record(s) they wish to inspect. A college official will make arrangements for access and notify the student of the time and place where the records may be inspected. If the records are not maintained by the college official to whom the request was submitted, that official shall advise the student of the correct official to whom the request should be addressed.
  • The right to request the amendment of information in the student’s education records that the student believes is inaccurate. Students should write the Registrar, clearly identifying the part of the record they want changed and specifying why it is inaccurate. If the college decides not to amend the record as requested by the student, the college will notify the student of the decision and advise the student of their right to a hearing regarding the request for amendment. Additional information regarding the hearing procedures will be provided to the student when notified of the right to a hearing.
  • The right to consent to disclosures of personally identifiable information contained in the student’s education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent. One exception, which permits disclosure without consent, is the disclosure to school officials with legitimate educational interests. A school official is a person employed by the college in an administrative, supervisory, academic or research, or support staff position (including law enforcement unit personnel and health staff); a person or company with whom the college has contracted (such as an attorney, auditor or collection agent); a person serving on the Governing Board; or a student serving on an official committee, such as a disciplinary or grievance committee, or assisting another school official in performing their tasks. A school official has a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review an education record in order to fulfill their professional responsibility.
  • The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by the college to comply with the requirements of FERPA.

Concerns can be submitted to the office that administers FERPA:

Family Policy Compliance Office
U.S. Department of Education
400 Maryland Ave. SW
Washington, DC 20202-5901

Access to Student Records

All currently enrolled and former students may have access to their educational records. Other people and agencies that may have access to students’ records include:

  1. College faculty and staff performing their job responsibilities related to academic and educational programs.
  2. Parents claiming the student as a dependent on their federal income tax returns.
  3. Scholarship and other financial aid organizations supporting the student.
  4. Federal, state and local officials who by law must receive information from the college.
  5. Any party designated by judicial order or subpoena, provided that the college notifies the student of the subpoena.
  6. Any person with the written consent of the student
  7. Santa Fe Higher Education Center partner schools for transfer.

Public Directory Information

Public directory information is only disseminated on a need-to-know basis such as internal processing for financial aid and federal and state reporting. The college has defined public directory information as a student’s name, campus email, major field of study, dates of attendance, and degrees and certificates and honors and awards received. A written request to withhold any information can be filed annually by the student at the Registrar’s Office. Request forms may be obtained at the Registrar’s Office and must be submitted within two weeks of the first day of a semester to be honored that semester. For information, call the Registrar’s Office at 505-428-1264.

Challenge of the Content of the Student Record

Students have the right to challenge the content of their student record if they believe the information is misleading, inaccurate or otherwise in violation of privacy or other rights. Disputes are handled through informal meetings between the student and the Vice President for Academic and Student Affairs. If the dispute cannot be resolved informally, the student has the right to a formal hearing before the Nonacademic Appeals Committee.

Transcript Requests

Official Transcripts

To obtain an official copy of your transcript or to have one sent to an employer or another college, there are several options:

  • Complete a transcript request form online at www.sfcc.edu/registrar.
  • Complete a transcript request form in person at the Registrar’s Office.
  • Mail a letter with the request to the Registrar’s Office.
  • Fax a letter with the request to 505-428-1405.
  • Email a letter with the request to records@sfcc.edu
  • Go to www.sfcc.edu and log into mysfcc/quick links/student records/request official transcript

Requests should include:

  • Last four digits of Social Security Number or date of birth or “A” Number
  • Date of the last term you attended SFCC
  • Former names used while attending SFCC
  • Name and address of the person or institution where you want the transcript sent, and
  • Signature (on letter).

Please allow one to three business days for processing.

Currently Santa Fe Community College does not provide “official” electronic transcripts to other institutions or employers or students.  Nor do we email official transcripts directly to students, other institutions or employers. At this time SFCC does not charge for official transcripts. 

Unofficial Transcripts

For an unofficial transcript go to www.sfcc.edu and log into mysfcc/quick links/student records/view unofficial transcript.

Go to the Welcome and Advising Center and request a printed copy. There is no charge for unofficial transcripts.

Currently Santa Fe Community College does not provide “unofficial” electronic transcripts to other institutions or employers or students.  Nor do we email unofficial transcripts directly to students, other institutions or employers. At this time SFCC does not charge for official transcripts. 

NOTE: SFCC will not release your transcript if you have outstanding debts with the college unless you have made arrangements for payment of those debts with the Cashier’s Office. For more information about student records, refer to SFCC Policy 2-12 Student Records.

Social Security Numbers in Student Records

Social Security Numbers are collected from prospective and current students who wish to be employed on campus or apply for financial aid. Such students are required by law to provide their Social Security Number for administrative use. Further, SFCC is mandated by federal tax regulations to provide tuition and fee payment information to the student and to the Internal Revenue Service so that applicable educational tax credits may be computed. The Social Security Number is necessary to submit this tax reporting. The Social Security Number is a confidential record and is maintained as such by the college in accordance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act.

Ethnicity and Race in Student Records

The college is required to report aggregated race and ethnic statistics on students and employees to the U.S. Department of Education on an annual basis for research purposes. The data also assists the college in applying for federal and state grants and financial aid funding for students.